Situated on the grounds of Hatley Park and Royal Roads University in Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC. The home was built by James Dunsmuir, Premier & Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia, and his wife Laura in 1908.
James Dunsmuir commissioned Samuel Maclure, a Victorian architect, to design the “Castle”, and Messrs. Brett and Hall, landscape artists of Boston, Massachusetts, to plan the gardens and surroundings. Local stone, trimmed by Valdez and Saturna Island sandstone was used in the building’s construction. Its impressive exterior is matched only by the lavishness of the interior appointments; oak and rosewood panelled rooms, baronial fireplace, teak floors, and specially made lighting fixtures.
Source: Rebecca Cruz @ flickr.com